Children in Transition
Children coming from vulnerable backgrounds do not meet their developmental goals at key stages of their lives. This is highly visible in the ages 5 – 7 and 10 – 11. Children do not meet their age-wise grade-wise academic goals, tend to be under confident, not enthusiastic about education and not relate to teachers and peers.
Standard 5 students (ages 10 – 11) from government schools and other low-resourced private schools exhibit the highest loss of learning in language, mathematics and social emotional learning. They are on the brink of a transition to middle school and any loss in foundational skills will manifest in multitudes as the children go to middle school. The absence of any one of these foundational abilities becomes apparent not only in the inability to acquire more complex abilities, but also in a disconnect from learning, peers and schooling, often causing children to drop out of school altogether.
We aim to fix the learning deficit by taking an approach to recognize the health and happiness of the child along with academic learning and influence the spaces to help the child develop holistically.
Components used for teaching, learning & assessment
- Audio/video stories, lessons and play activities
- A teaching assistant supports the class teacher and students right at the school
- Support to parents for after school support
- Workbooks to help children apply their learning through relevant creative art projects
WCD 5, Chennai
We work with the most deserving 760 students at age 10 from the most marginalised homes across 20 government schools in Chennai. Through an art based intervention we work towards enhancing their cognitive, emotional and physical wellbeing.
Our commitment is that these children achieve their age-specific learning levels by the time they finish 5th grade, not drop out of education and move upwards into middle school seamlessly.
- 85% students to make ready inferences based on their texts
- 40% students to creatively express & reformulate ideas
- 44% students to understand better and apply vocabulary learnings effectively
- 77% students to complete and articulate their thoughts